How to “Win Favor and a Good Name in the Sight of GOD and Man”
In my last two posts, here and here, I discussed the importance of Harrison’s name. Now I want to give Harrison a little advice about developing that good name. This is what I would like to call the Biblical version of “How to Win Friends and Influence People,” and it comes from Proverbs 3.
- "My son, do not forget my teaching,
but keep my commands in your heart,
- "for they will prolong your life many years
and bring you prosperity.
- "Let love and faithfulness never leave you;
bind them around your neck,
write them on the tablet of your heart.
- "Then you will win favor and a good name
in the sight of God and man.
- "Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
- "in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.
- "Do not be wise in your own eyes;
fear the LORD and shun evil.
- "This will bring health to your body
and nourishment to your bones.
- "Honor the LORD with your wealth,
with the firstfruits of all your crops;
- "then your barns will be filled to overflowing,
and your vats will brim over with new wine.
- "My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline
and do not resent his rebuke,
- "because the LORD disciplines those he loves,
as a father the son he delights in.
- "Blessed is the man who finds wisdom,
the man who gains understanding,
- "for she is more profitable than silver
and yields better returns than gold.
- "She is more precious than rubies;
nothing you desire can compare with her.
- "Long life is in her right hand;
in her left hand are riches and honor.
- "Her ways are pleasant ways,
and all her paths are peace.
- "She is a tree of life to those who embrace her;
those who lay hold of her will be blessed.
- "By wisdom the LORD laid the earth's foundations,
by understanding he set the heavens in place;
- "by his knowledge the deeps were divided,
and the clouds let drop the dew.
- "My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment,
do not let them out of your sight;
- "they will be life for you,
an ornament to grace your neck.
- "Then you will go on your way in safety,
and your foot will not stumble;
- "when you lie down, you will not be afraid;
when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.
- "Have no fear of sudden disaster
or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked,
- "for the LORD will be your confidence
and will keep your foot from being snared.
- "Do not withhold good from those who deserve it,
when it is in your power to act.
- "Do not say to your neighbor,
'Come back later; I'll give it tomorrow'
when you now have it with you.
- "Do not plot harm against your neighbor,
who lives trustfully near you.
- "Do not accuse a man for no reason
when he has done you no harm.
- "Do not envy a violent man
or choose any of his ways,
- "for the LORD detests a perverse man
but takes the upright into his confidence.
- "The LORD's curse is on the house of the wicked,
but he blesses the home of the righteous.
- "He mocks proud mockers
but gives grace to the humble.
- "The wise inherit honor,
but fools he holds up to shame."